The rain and storming continued for most of the day Sunday, at one point Andy went out and added another rope . We were happy to be tied up in Campbellford, and spent the day reading and playing cards. A tornado was reported near Kingston, which isn’t that far away. On Monday morning we walked over to No Frills when it opened at 8 am, to reprovision. We then pulled out of Campbellford and headed for the locks. We were through the Ranney falls flight by 9:35, Hagues Reach by 10:05, Meyers at 10:40, Percy’s reach at 11:00, and Glen Ross by 12:45. We arrived at Frankford by 1:30, tied up and connected to power.
On Tuesday, rain was predicted for most of the day so we made the decision to remain in Frankfort for the day, rather than locking through in the rain. We were only 6 locks and 7.3 miles from Lake Ontario.
But everything was about to change– Andy spoke to his Dr. in Winnipeg, and it was suggested that we come home, so that he could undergo some additional tests and see a specialist, for some on-going issues that he had been experiencing. So we decided to suspend our vacation in the Thousand Islands and return to our car in Buckhorn. Luckily the rain had not materialized as yet, so we started the engines at 11:30, and reversed course, going through the same locks we had done the previous day. Here’s a shot from our first lock- Glen Ross.
I saw a pair of Swans out in the marsh land.
Here’s a view of the suspension bridge and Campbellford water tower in the background.
We had made it back to Campbellford by 4:25, but decided to continue. We made it through Crowe Bay, as well as the 3 locks at Healy Falls. We were fortunate that the lock people knew we were on the move and had the locks ready for us. The staff at Healey falls, stayed on a few minutes extra so that we could make it to the top of Lock 17. We were tied up by 6:00. We had gone 29.2 miles and 11 locks, on a day when we didn’t start until 11:30.
On Wednesday we woke up at 5:30, with the boat hitting against the dock, it was very windy. Since we were at the top of Lock 17, we had a 15 mile trek to Hastings, which was our next lock.
I saw this gull contently sitting on the bollard, just before we untied.
We were mainly on the Trent River, as somewhat sheltered from the wind. We arrived at Hastings before 9:00, and were through by 9:15, but had a small delay leaving, as the lock staff could not open the swing bridge, because a fire alarm had gone off in town, and the bridge was the only means to get the fire fighters and trucks to the fire. Once the swing bridge opened, we had the 37 mile crossing of Rice Lake and the Otonobee River before the next lock. The wind had decreased from earlier in the morning, and the crossing went well.
Before we arrived at the Scotts Mills, I saw these Parks Canada employees adjusting the markers in the water.
We were at Scotts Mills lock at 1:40, and went through immediately, followed by Ashburnham, where we locked through with 3 other boats. We then proceeded to the lift lock and arrived at 3:00, We had to wait for the lock down of boats from the top, including the tour boat, which we had seen the previous Wednesday. Only one basin, continues to be used at this lock as the cylinder on the starboard tub, has been broken since the summer of 2019, and not yet repaired. The 3 boats finally were able to enter the tub and tie off , but we were kept waiting as another boat was coming. When this boat entered, it was caught by the wind, and came within inches of smashing into our port side. I braced for impact where I was on the starboard swim platform, and thankfully I didn’t hear a crunch. We were out of the lock by 4:00, and upon exiting were told that there likely wasn’t enough time to make Lakefield, so we would need to tie up at Nassau Mills. We proceeded the 6.7 miles to this lock and were through and tied up by 5:00. We had hoped to go farther, but the next 3 locks had dam construction underway, and mooring for the night was not allowed. We had never stayed at Nassau Mills, so I took some pictures of the signage,
this Asiatic lily
and this squirrel, pulling food out of the garbage can.
In the morning, it was cool and there was a little fog near the surface of the water.
We proceeded the short distance to Lock 23- Otonabee. Since we were the first in line, we proceeded into the front of the lock starboard side, with a houseboat behind us and a 30 foot cruiser on the port side. It was a very rough lock up, both Andy and I struggled to keep the boat against the wall. The water surging in continually was pull us off the wall. Somehow during this ordeal, I scrapped the skin off my right elbow on the slimy lock wall as the boat moved forwards, so I had blood running down my arm and rope. Not a pretty sight! As we left the lock, we asked the lockmaster if the boat order could somehow changed for the remaining set of locks. In Lock 24 Duoro, the cruiser and house boat, both went on the port side, making locking easier for us, as we could now tie up farther back in the lock. This same alignment continued in Lock 25 Sawer Creek and in Lock 26 Lakefield. At this point the cruiser tied up, so just the houseboat and us continued on. It was not yet noon, so we speculated that we might be able to make Buckhorn before the end of the day. Andy kept the speed to 10 mph, when we were not in a speed zone, and we were through, Youngs Point, Burleigh Falls, Lovesick by 3:00. Andy called the lock at Buckhorn to find out if there was any room on the lock wall for mooring, and was told that it was currently pretty full, but that there may be some movement with day tripper boats. We arrived and went through lock by 3:45, Peter from BYH had texted Andy and said that he likely had a slip for us, which we assumed was on the gas dock. But when we arrived, both the spaces there were already occupied. While at the gas dock, we decided to have both waste tanks pumped out, just in case we needed to have the boat pulled out of the water. Peter came down and said that we were likely too tall for the slip that was available, so we should move the boat to the boat ramp space. We were tied up there by 5:00. A long day another 8 locks, and we had gone almost 30 miles. We decided to drive to Bobcaygeon, so that I could do laundry, so items to could be just left on the boat, rather than taken to Winnipeg and returned. We were back at Buckhorn by 6:45, had supper, and then started sorting through stuff and packing.
In the morning, Andy brought the car near the dock, and started filling the trunk and back seat. We filled up the plug in cooler with the items from the deep freezer, and the smaller cooler with fruit and veggies for the trip, some of the perishable items, along with my tomato and pepper plants were given to Luke, one of the marina staff, as they wouldn’t survive the 22 hour ride back to Winnipeg. By 8:30, the car was almost packed, and the fridge had been cleaned and defrosted. Since there was no slip space, the decision was made to pull the boat and the large red trailer arrived at 8:45. At this point I was sad, not knowing if we would be back to continue boating this summer. We will make another trip back in the fall, even if it was to just pack up the remaining stuff. I had brought a few little sewing projects back with me- the chair cover, which needs a second strap , as well as the dimensions so that I make some fender covers, and the old lifejackets that I want to use to make a collar for the dinghy. Hopefully I will have these items ready for our return trip.
We started our drive back to Winnipeg at 9:00, we were stopped for almost 30 minutes at one point on the highway in the Muskoka’s as there was road work going on. We continued on filling up with gas in Parry Sound and Sault Ste. Marie, we made it to Wawa by 7:45 and stopped for the night. In the morning, we were back on the road at 5:30, it was still dark for the first hour. We stopped in Nipigon and Dryden for gas. There were several stops because of road and bridge construction, and there was lots of traffic. We arrived home Saturday night just before 5:00. Another long day! While we were away, Graham (Andy’s son) and Mike (Andy’s nephew) had re-done the floor in our kitchen and front entrance. The floor looks amazing!
On Sunday, I did some weeding in the garden, even though it has been very hot, and the grass hasn’t grown much, the garden has been consistently watered, so the weeds are thriving.
I continued with the weeding on Monday, working on the front flower beds, more of the garden as well as the back flower bed. I’ve filled 4 compost bags, and pulled at least a hundred dill plants. I dehydrated some of the dill and sent some fresh dill home with Graham. Today I enjoyed fresh garden beans, courtesy of Erin, as well as home grown tomatoes and cucumbers. You can’t beat fresh. A good portion of my row of beets seem to be missing, likely eaten by the bunnies, so a planted a few more seeds.
Andy put my pantry cupboard back together, so that I could put everything back, it was emptied and taken apart in order to put the new flooring in.
Andy called his doctor this morning, to find out when he will be seeing the specialist– no appointment has been set as yet. So maybe we didn’t have to rush back as quickly as we did. But then I wouldn’t have had the fresh produce from the garden nor been able to use my own computer instead of sharing. Our house phone is going to remain suspended, as we are still hoping to return to Ontario in September. Will blog again once I know more.